Monday, June 28, 2010

Six months.

It's been six months since I heard that voice. Six months since I was on the receiving end of that hug. Six months since I held her hand in the hospital, studied every line in it and memorized the color of the nail polish. Six months since my family and I stood at the cemetery and tried desperately to say goodbye. Six months since I returned to Washington and my life totally fell apart. And it still is, at intervals, every day.

I have been trying to grab the reigns for six months. Some days, they are at my fingertips, and others, there is absolutely NO hope in securing them. Some days, I can't bear the thought of six months growing into seven, then eight, then nine, and onto twelve. Then it will have been a year. I can't even fathom a year, much less two, and so on. The truth is, NOBODY is a professional when it comes to grieving. And even more truthful is the fact that 99% of the time, you have to handle it yourself. NOBODY can fix it for you. I'm going to step up here and admit that I've been doing an honorable job at doing just that.

Along with losing my mother (and my grandmother the day before), I have also managed to secure a great new job in the last six months. I have also been doing photography work with a new camera upgrade that I had been wanted for a long time. I have grown incredibly closer to my father and have supported him through a kidney transplant, while bonding with my sisters on a whole new level. I've come to realize that I have some of the best friends anybody could ask for, and I am lucky enough to be loved by one of the greatest men I know. On top of that, I have made it a point to try my hardest to laugh and enjoy life every day that I am blessed with it. I have also had an offer to frame and display some of my photography work in a local shop for potential sales and viewings. Overall, while I have felt easily at my worst, I have managed to, as they say, keep on trucking along.

I do it ALL for her. I miss her so much that it's brutally painful. I dream about her when I manage to get sleep. I occasionally get caught up in torturing myself with the inevitable "what if" scenarios. That's just human nature, and I excuse myself for it. I can't help but wonder if things had been different, or if I'd had children before she passed. If I'd been married, what would she have worn to my wedding, or the fact that when I do get married, she won't be in any of my pictures. THAT HURTS. I'd apologize to people that think grief has an expiration date for my sad blogs or my "debbie downer" facebook statuses, but there's really nothing to apologize for. Nothing at all. I lost someone who meant the world to me, someone who knew me better than anybody else, someone who loved me for every flaw. I lost my best friend. I LOST MY MOTHER. You only get one of those.

It was brought to my attention tonight, and innocently so, that I should be grateful for the time I had with her and think of those who never had what I had the chance to have. I completely agree. Wholeheartedly, but I also want to point out that I have never been ungrateful in regards to that scenario. I deeply feel for those who perhaps never knew their mother, and for those whose relationship with their mother isn't "perfect". Mine wasn't always, but I wouldn't have changed it for the world, and as grateful as I am to have had her for 27 years, that is a SHORT period of time. And as sad as all these situations are, I can't allow what I'm feeling, this period of grief and mourning that I deserve, to suddenly feel invalid or be undermined. It's only been six months.

If I'm still falling apart and haven't gotten it together somewhat in, say, the next ten, twenty, or thirty years, then I will definitely have been ungrateful for a great many years....but right now, I'm going to mourn her. I'm going to want her back. I'm going to cry and hurt and feel bitterness at times. I'm probably going to be sensitive to innocent propositions. (I know my friend meant no harm to me). I'm going to feel a bit insulted when some people expect me to suck it up sooner rather than later. (People have.) I'm going to see daughters shopping with their mothers and I'm going to wish it was me with my mother instead. These are just minor examples of things that will happen, and not because I even intend them to, but simply because they have been happening, and being a reasonable person, my guess is that they most likely will continue to, because six months is an AWFULLY short time.

5 comments:

  1. I am of the strict opinion that people should not advise on that which they have never experienced. I have no experience in the grief you're feeling, so all I have is condolences. I am so, so sorry you're having to deal with this at only 27 years old. I'm sorry your sisters are having to deal with it too. I don't understand why things happen the way they do. I just don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Amy. I definitely don't understand either. I don't think I ever will. There's always going to be a part of me that is angry FOR my mother about the fact that she too was denied sooo much. 57 is way too young to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for such a personal and beautiful blog. You have no idea how much you've inspired people around you, especially me. The friends closest and truest to you are those who accept everything with grace and patience. We all know you are hurting, but I'm so glad you have been able to find some small way to continue on. I agree, it is the best way to honor your mother and who she was, by living on and trying to find ways to smile. Losing you would have destroyed so many more people. The loss is so unbearably painful, but there are people who are willing to help you carry that load when you no longer can, who read your facebook posts and your blogs and who, knowing they can never fully understand, still try to do so the best they can. Those people still love you, those people still hurt for you. You should never have to apologize for how you feel, and I'm sorry when the world is too impatient and demands it from you. Your own openness has served to bring into greater relief my own fears and distance from grief, pain and relaitonships. I often feel like I've purposely chosen to sever my ties with the shore, to cast my boat adrift, to be lost from anyone trying to touch my life. I'm so grateful that you and your mother had that kind of relationship, and I relish in listening to your memories because it reminds me what I have chosen to miss out on. It's sobering, to say the least. I respect you for embracing how you feel, because you have so much more strength than I could ever hope to have. You shouldn't have to withstand this tragedy in your life, but God has called your mother home to serve him, to worship him, and it is not with a blind faith that I say this, but one that I trust no matter how much pain is there. I hope that some day you will come to live your life for yourself as much as your mother, though no one can estimate how long that may take. I'll never stop being here for you matey, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did I miss this post? I'm sorry! I can't believe anyone has made you feel like you should not still be grieving or that you are ungrateful. I understand your friend wasn't meaning it that way but as for the others.....WTH! Do they know you? You are the most grateful, positive person I know. I often think about what I would do if I lost my mother and I feel like I just couldn't go on. For you to be who you are and the fact that you are there for all of your friends including me all the while going through this is phenomenal. I feel like I would shut down and shut everyone out. You are an amazing person and I am so glad to know you and you are definitely no "debbie downer" in my eyes. XOXO

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete